Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dresses, dresses, and more dresses!

The Iditarod 1000 mile sled dog race is starting tomorrow! Technically, it began today, but that was the ceremonial start which ran around downtown Anchorage, Alaska. Tomorrow is the re-start and the beginning of the actual race. That means that this week's productivity at work is shot. The Iditarod has, in the last few years, been placing GPS trackers on all the mushers sleds, which update every 15 minutes. Good idea for race fans. Bad idea for workers.

Me: Okay, I need to get started coding and writing my test plans.
* refreshes trackers *

Me: Grrr WHYYY aren't you moving? It's a race! You said you'd rest 6 hours! Your tracker stopped about 5 hours ago THEY'RE CATCHING UP TO YOU!!!!

* refreshes trackers *

Me: Good, trackers have changed the speed from 0.0 mph to 0.2 mph. Maybe the sled is moved in preparation of moving off their butts and getting back on the trail!
* refreshes trackers *
Speed shows at 0.0 mph.
Me: GAAAHHHHH.

* refreshes trackers *

Speed shows at 6.8 mph (or something similar)

Me: Yeeaaah baby go dogs go! Okay, that was a good waste of an afternoon. Oh yeah, I was supposed to get stuff done today at work, wasn't I. Ooops.


x 10 days or so .....

Not so sure anyone else follows my obscure interest in sled dogs, but the team I follow is Aliy Zirkle and Allen Moore of SP Kennels. They have a lot of nice videos on the trail and do a fairly good job of keeping us updated with what's happening in the race.

But anyways, what you probably are interested in is not furry dogs trotting through an Artic Wilderness. On to the dresses!


I totally cannot figure out yet what to make of this dress. I love the colors. But the split confuses me. Why is the top purple and the bottom green? I know, top flowers, bottom vines. But it looks disjointed. I zoomed in on the website and finally figured out that it's a big long green vine with purple flowers on the top. But it doesn't look connected from a distance. The dress itself is a very sturdy cotton, almost a canvas like material. I took my usual 2 in Maeve and found it was way too big. I'd have to size down to a 0. I think I like the dress, despite the odd color splitage. It cries out for a belt though. I would love to throw my looping lanes belt on for styling. I found it very comfy, maybe a tad too heavy for the hottest days of summer because of the weight of the fabric, and definitely my favorite of all the dresses I tried on that day. Possibly wishlisted. (Which no, doesn't speak well for the rest of the dresses!)




So at first thought, this dress reminded me of the Reed Shirtdress when I saw it online. And as you can tell by the picture .... no, it's not really close at all. Shame, I love the bright royal blue. I don't remember if I've tried on Odille dresses before, so I took my usual 2 in Odille shirts. (Well, somewhat usual - in the past month, I've bought 2 Odille shirts in size 2 on ebay. They turn out in actuality to be more like a size -2 and a size 4. Sigh. Oh well, luck of the draw.) This is way more fitted than the Reed Shirtdress. The bottom to me fitted more like a pencil skirt. I don't know if it'd flare out any more if I sized up, but the 2 was very clingy on me and just didn't look right. The collar is striped blue and white on the inside and I wasn't also a fan of. I guess they were trying to go for the nautical look but it just didn't look right to me.


I hate non numbered dresses. I couldn't remember if I was xs or small. I decided to verge on the safe side and grabbed the small. Oops, bad decision. Too big, way too big! The shoulders were falling off me. The waist is elasticized, which I like. I love the blue sash, but the inside is some olive green print that doesn't really make me happy. I really like the latticed lace though on the top and bottom. It's a very cool, breezy summer look. I liked this enough that I'll try it on eventually back in a 0, but it's not registering on me as "special" yet.


Am I standing at a weird angle? Do I look pained? Answer to all those question is yes, and it's all because of this dress. I am sad. This dress was my favorite going into the dressing room. I took a 0 this dress because the 0 in Edme and Esyllte (I can never remember the correct spelling of that) is my usual shirt size. Oh dear. Oh me oh my. Maybe I should have sized up. I couldn't zip this thing up, which is why I am standing sideways, so you can't see it. But why did I take a picture if it clearly doesn't fit, and not just grab the next size up? Because the top is SWIMMING on me. It was gaping open and I think I could have fit my wallet, maybe a boot, and maybe a stuffed dog inside at the neckline. (Yes I am somewhat exaggerating. But it was bad.) I don't know. I don't understand why the proportions on this dress between the top and bottom is so bad. I normally am a bit hard to fit in dresses with a wider waist and skinnier shoulders, so it's normal for me to find the top blousier than the bottom, but this was much worse than usual. Pass. (Still sad. This dress is gorgeous.)


New Anthro dressing room, new store, more yellowish shade of picture. :( Well, I grabbed the Tuileries dress, which seems to be a favorite of a lot of bloggers. It's by Moulinette Soeurs. Shudder. This brand has been all over the place with sizing, but a quick eyeball over made it appear like my usual size 2 in MS (when it's sized correctly) would work. And it did! It's a very lovely, light, silky dress. Like I mentioned in the review above, I'm skinnier in the shoulders than in the waist, so my waist zipped up snugly and was a tad blously on top. I am undecided. It's very comfortable and would be wonderful to wear on a hot summer day. But um, to wear am I supposed to wear this? The print is casual, but the silk makes it seem a little too formal to wear to work. I'll wishlist it for now but will probably end up passing at sale time based on the slight blousiness of the top and the lack of places to wear it to.

1 comment:

  1. Tuileries looks really pretty on you :)

    ReplyDelete