Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Happy Snow!

... or so my facebook friends claim anyways, that the first snowfall of the season just hit Chicago. I haven't been outside to look yet, and my work desk is nowhere near a window. Here's hoping it's not too bad!

Alright, I am way behind on Anthro reviews. Mainly this is because my closet light broke, so all my pictures are dim and blurry. So, the answer is to wear your new purchases to work and use the work bathroom lightning!



aka Nina's favorite shirt. I'm faiirrrrly sure this was an xs, but I took this picture a few weeks ago so I don't remember. Since I don't remember much about this top, I'm sorry to say this review will be fairly short. I remember it being a bit too loose on me even with the xs, and I think the neckline drops a little too low on me. Too bad, because I kind of like it otherwise. (I know. What a great review. But really, I just wanted to review the boots, and threw in this picture because it was on the phone.)


I took this picture just for giggles. This is the ever so popular Bianka blouse that bloggers seem to unanimously love. I think I look like a clown. I have an issue mainly with the ruffles/flowers around the neckline. They stick up on me, and thus resemble the giant ruffle that a clown has around their neck. Do not like. I believe I took a size 0 in this. I really liked how soft and silky the material was, and I loved the color, but no go on clown ruffles.


I drooled over these boots as soon as saw them online, as the Farrier boots. But the price - ouch! More research found these to be the Joie Refugee Boots. Different name, same price. So I sniffed sadly and went away to begin drooling other boots. The Farrier boots have a lookalike in the Miz Mooz Hannah boots, and I also took a liking to the Anthro Martingale boots (which I bought and am still deliberating over - review to come as soon as I can get decent lightning for it!).

But then! Piperlime had a 25% boot sale last week. And the boots were already at a sale price! After madly refreshing the page over and over again, a 8.5 finally popped up (the only other options left were teeensy tiny and super large) and I took the plunge and bought them.

They're the most awesome pair of boots ever.

I initally wanted them because of all the laces. I have tiny calves, and I always run into problems with a giant calf on boots and enough space between my leg and my boot to stick a bottle of water in there. (See: current dilemma with Martingale boot, although they are fantastic too). I figured I could just lace the laces really tight and thus tighten up the calf circumference. BTW this actually does work. Nice tight fit hooha! (the boot on the left side of the picture - my right leg - does look like the boot is gaping a little, but I think it's because the leather came folded oddly, and I'm hoping that as I wear it more, it'll soften up and fall back more into position instead of sticking out at that angle.

They fit slightly tight, but it just means I need to wear thinner socks. They feel very warm and durable. Someone wrote in the reviews section they tromped all over Scotland in these boots. I can see that, they seem very well made, although people have commented in various reviews about the grommets falling off. I made sure to not lace too tightly at the grommets for that purpose. You can tighten the laces as tight as you need to, and the full size zip means that you can keep the laces at that position and use the zip to get the boot on and off. Nice! Right now, I have them very tight, and I don't know if other people would find it cloyingly tight. I find it to be similar wearing my riding half chaps - you can feel the leather gripping hard to your legs. I'm used to this sensation and it doesn't bother me, although I do remember hating my half chaps when I first starting wearing them because I though I was cutting off all the circulation to my feet. I'm sure they can be loosened for a lighter fit.

And yes, there is some white gunk on my boots. No idea what it is. They came like this and other reviews have commented on it too. I didn't bother to try and clean them off because I wanted to wear them to work today for the bathroom photo. I figure I'll go home and try to clean them off with a damp cloth, or attack it like I do my riding boots with leather conditioner and see if that helps any. It's not too bad - it looks more like I went out in the snow in the middle of winter and all the salt residue from the sidewalks left tracks on my boots. I guess it's the worn in look?

1 comment:

  1. cute boots! I think endless is having a sale on the miss mooz one's today too. I was def tempted!

    Lorispeak

    ReplyDelete