Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Anthro Reviews and new loves

I was all excited when Anthro's January catalog came out. Nothing I wanted! I'd be able to save some money! Except .... I ended up falling in love with a bunch of older items. Sale goggles make everything look better! But it's all good, because some more expensive items ended up falling off my in love list, so I think I'm still saving money. Technically.

Yes, more yellow pictures.


This seems to be the current blogger dress favorite right now. For good reason, too. This is a gorgeous dress! I was initially put off by the Girls From Savoy label (their stuff did NOT fit me well at all last year) but I figured it was worth a try. And lo a behold, their stuff works this year! Or at least this dress does. I intially took my default size 4 for unknown brands, but had to size down to a 2 in this. It's very light and silky and easy to pull on, no zipper. The side elastic cinches make it easy to put on and it nips in the waist without having to look for a pesky belt or sash. The shoulders pull in tightly at the neck though, and it's going to show off bra straps, so you'd have to go strapless for this dress. This is a winner though. It's high on my "must have or cry sadly" list.



Femme Fisherman Cardigan ($69.95)

Yes the name of this cardigan is wretched. This cardigan used to be high on my must buy list. Then I tried it on again when it went on sale and just fell out of love. It's a bit itchy. The lace collar on the sleeves seem out of place, and I'd be worried about rubbing off the lovely sequins on it. And the wide collar doesn't work too well for me. It looks like there should be some giant hood on the back of it, but it's just ... flat. It's a shame, because this shade of light aqua blue is very pretty.


This dress is another big blogger favorite. Admittedly, we scratched our heads over this dress for the longest time. Why? Why do people like this so much? It looks ... plain. And the zipper. Why is there a zipper on the front of the dress? One of my stores finally got it in stock in navy and charcoal, so I grabbed the charcoal to try on. (And now I can't remember if I grabbed a 2 or a 4 in this dress.) Which ever size it was, it fit well. It's a nice length. The material I found to be a tad bit on the rough side. And ... it's not not sparking anything for me. I'm still not feeling the love for this dress. It's a nice dress, but I wouldn't get it on sale. Maybe a second cut. Reviews on the Anthro site seem to indicate that the original khaki color had longer sleeves, so maybe longer sleeves would do it for me? (I am so over this 3/4 length sleeve thing. )

Time Goes By (Gray) ($59.95)

I tried this on in the original peach shade when it first came out, and found it to be big in a size 2. Didn't love it. Something about the shoulders and sleeves. But now it's on sale! In grey. And it's a cheap price! So I went to try it on. Now, unless I'm delusional, the peach dress was by Maeve and the grey dress is by Lil. Lil runs tiny for me, so instead of grabbing a 0, I grabbed a 6 in Lil. Smallest size they had. And .... the grey color is not doing it for me. Neither is the top. It doesn't actually look half bad in this picture. I assure you that in person, I was staring bemusedly at the mirror trying to figure out what floppy stuff was sitting on my shoulders. Pass.



Sorry, sold out online. Oh good, we're back to our friend Lil. This dress didn't impress me when I saw it online at first, but it's looked fantastic on a lot of bloggers so far. And .... not so on me. This is a 6 again in Lil. It's ... very frumpy. Maybe it's the sleeves. I think it was a tad bit large on me too. I might try a 4 again, and I might not. Just not really feeling this dress. It's a lovely light green. It's comfortable. It's ... yeah, frumpy is a good word.


I really want to call this the Floral Flappe top. And btw, there are not black streaks in the ruffles, that's the shadows falling really oddly. This top did not register with me at all before yesterday, when it went on sale and Jenni expressed interest in it. She dresses the best out of the three of us, so when she likes something, I pay attention. I found this to be so soft and comfortable. I am a bit iffy as to how well the ruffles and flowers will stay on over time, but it's pretty and cheap so I'll give it a whirl. Ignore my green pants, please. I assure you this top looks better on blue jeans than on green pants. It seems to run a little small in the shoulders, though. I normally am a xs in Deletta (or even xxs) and I took a small in this. I bought this shirt.

Alice in Autumn ($79.95)

Yay, I'm only about half a year behind everyone on this! Okay, I did try this on when it first came out, but for some reason, the ruffled poofy collar really did not do it for me then. I've seen a lot of bloggers wear them recently though (yes, I apparently am a sucker for peer pressure) and they all looked super cute - and the poofy collar didn't bother me that much in their pictures. So I found one in store and popped it on, making sure to stay with the smaller sizes (I usually size up in cardis and sweaters for layering, but going bigger this time is just going to make me more annoyed in the poofy collar). And what do you know ... I like it! So I bought it. (Admittedly, a day later. I just called in this morning and put in a charge send for it. Why do I not buy these things in store when I'm right there? A lot of my recent purchases are me sitting at home going - gee, this picture looks really cute. I guess I should get it. Ugh, the store is an hour away and I don't want to drive back. And of course, vice versa, why is it that when I buy things in store right away, I usually end up returning?)

BTW, I am also searching for a gold in small. Or medium. I'll deal with the medium for the gold. Anyone know where to find one? I've struck out at all Chicagoland stores.


However, if I can't find the gold Alice, I can put that money towards this! I tried this on in the store and after about 5 minutes of tugging and pulling trying to find the correct way to make this top drape, I was initially not too enthusiastic about this. It felt and looked really baggy on me. But I snapped a picture. And now, a day later, I looked at this picture as I was posting this, and said "hey, that actually looks really cute." Looked at it a couple minutes later again and said "heeyyy ... this makes me look really skinny!" And that's never bad. This is a small in grey. Maybe I'll have to trek out again to try this on in different colors. I think I saw a moss in store, which I don't see online. But there is a gold online. Oooh, gold. I love the color gold now. Hrm. - adds to must have list. -

No comments:

Post a Comment