Friday, February 25, 2011

Leifsdottir!

IMG_3800

I really like Leifsdottir! It started when I saw their Majestic Cypress Toile Dress, drooled over it (I have a strange weakness for toile print for some reason), and then sighed at the $300+ price tag. I did eventually pick it up on sale, though I’m still not sure how to wear it.

Ever since then, I’ve kept my eye on their website, since they have much more than Anthro picks up. They have some of the ugliest $300 clothes I’ve ever seen (Poni Cardigan, Python Jersey Maxi Dress, anyone?), but they’ve got a lot of awesome stuff, too.

I’d been seeing stuff I liked well enough, but even at sale prices, I didn’t love them enough to pick them up. First cut on tops and skirts at Leifsdottir usually still puts them at $100, and dresses are even more.

Well, imagine my excitement when I randomly checked the site (ok, maybe to giggle at that python dress) and noticed that a bunch of older stuff got 2nd cuts, putting skirts in the $50 range! And even better – they had plenty of stuff in my size! I had actually been eyeing the Paso Doble Dress and Folding Fan Dress for awhile, and that’s what I assumed I’d purchase since they were both under $100. (Upscale department stores have carried these dresses, too) But when it came down to purchase time, I wasn’t sure how practical they were, and I didn’t want more expensive, useless dresses hanging in my closet.

So instead, I got skirts. Two skirts for a little more than a dress would cost! They’re definitely different from what I normally wear. For one thing, these skirts do not look good unless I’m wearing them 1) at my waist and 2) with a shirt tucked in. I can’t even remember the last time I went out wearing an outfit that fit either criteria. I, uh, don’t have much of a waist so I tend to wear things that skim that area. Well, I threw together some outfits quickly, and I’ll probably spend some time mulling over what else I can pair with the skirts before I make my final decision.

Img_3786 picados
Picados Skirt - $39.95 (original: $148)

Usually I worry about things like this being too long because I’m petite in height (5’4) but not in size! But this one borders on being too short for me. It’s really comfortable, and the black balances out the frilly design to make it a relatively practical piece. I’ve got it paired with Anthro’s Posh Peasant Tee and my newly acquired (thanks to Sandy!) Slinking Frills Pumps. You can also see this skirt on Jewish Girl’s blog.

IMG_3793 alegrias
Alegrias Skirt - $54.95 (Original: $228)

Eek! Bright colors! This one is really uncharacteristic for me. I was this close to getting the Picados Skirt with the Folding Fan Dress, but I changed my mind at the last minute. In this ouftfit, I’m channeling inspiration from Jewish Girl’s Inspiring Interpretations feature (but a day too late to meet the submission deadline). I’ve got the skirt paired with an Ann Taylor LOFT tee, the Spanish Steps Cardi (a lucky sale find, I love it!), and Really Painful Heels I Got on the Internet (priceless).

Any pairing advice that might convince me that these skirts belong in my wardrobe? Check out the Leifsdottir sale. Buy stuff so they sell out and I’m not tempted to buy more!

~N

3 comments:

  1. I think you did great with both pairing for the Bright Skirt. I like the first with the black Molded and Melded Tee and Black Pumps. Funny! I ordered a Black M and M from a store and it arrived partially completed. I spend 45 minutes last night hand sewing some of the ruching by looking at my Grey version. For $10 it was worth the effort.

    I ordered the Gathering Tank thinking it would be just like the M and M. NOT!

    I used to be a Leifsdottir Skirt fanatic. I think they are running out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these purchases! I'm a huge fan of the Picados skirt, although I haven't worn it very often. I was just browsing the Leifsdottir site and am quite tempted by that Alegrias skirt!

    As for pairing suggestions, I'm still trying to figure out how to wear the Picados skirt, but I've found that it looks much better with tighter or more structured shirts as opposed to looser pieces. (I think the scallops on the skirt make the whole thing seem too baggy if your shirt isn't fitted/firm)

    The Allegrias skirt looks like it would go with any number of color tops, which is awesome. I'd pair it with a solid shirt as you did, or with vertical stripes a la my favorite new Anthro outfit here: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anthropologie.com%2Fanthro%2Fimages%2F020711SkirtOutfit_Banners_LK4.jpg&h=785d3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura! Ooh, good to know about the Gathering Tank, I was considering that one. I take it you didn't like it? I'm still building up my "grown up wardrobe," so I'm ok with Leifsdottir recycling ideas for now. :)

    JG, great tips on styling! I'll have to go through my wardrobe for more structured shirts. The ones I found before didn't work as well. One was a button down business shirt and the other had a peplum shape (TERRIBLE with the Picados skirt, gaaah... I didn't even take a picture). But I must have something else! Or maybe I'll have to buy something else :D

    I love the stripes in that outfit - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete