Monday, February 14, 2011

Reviews: Tops and a Jacket

Still no booties in the mail today. :( But I did have these pictures saved up on my phone from awhile ago. I hesitated in posting them because they're such bad quality, but it's better than nothing. My phone decided to go even more yellow than usual. I attempted to clean it up in Photoshop, but I don't actually know how to use photoshop too well, so now they have some kind of old, aged, painted tint to them.

See what I mean?


This actually doesn't it look like it fits too badly, but I remember this being being loose and a bit big on me. I took an xs. Deletta has been running big for me lately, and I find myself being sized out of most, if not all, of their things lately. It was very comfortable, although I was (and am still) skeptical of the off center neckline. I kept feeling like it was going to drop too low and give people an inadvertent show.




Continuing with the "Deletta is sized very big lately show" is the Voila Top. (I keep thinking Viola. Long story.) I grabbed this to try on because Nina had been interested in it. My camera sucks - it's not as bright in real life, the website picture is more true to color and it's a very nice dark plum burgundy color. This is another xs and once again, it's just hanging off me. Nina, size down. The lace on this is really pretty and would make a very nice layering top.



Wow, this is nearly sold out online. I think I grabbed my usual size 2 in Odille for this shirt, but it's too big on me. Maybe I should try it again in an 0, but I'm not vastly inclined to. The print is just not my style, I think. I feel like a mix of a Hawaiian Wild West cowgirl. I'm also not a big fan of the two long straps in front. I tied it in front like it's styled on the website, but it's not working for me. I think the ties keep making me think of lassos and tassles and fringe, to continue the wild west cowgirl theme.


I tried on the Engla Trench a few weeks back, since I was in dire need of a nice spring jacket. (See: most recent post). I never posted that review, because I never took a picture. That jacket had weird ruffles around the neck, which made me look like a frilled lizard. See below.

Too bad, because that was a beautifully made trench. So when I saw the Femme Trench Jacket come out, also by the same maker of the Engla, Elevenses, I grabbed it to try on. No ruffles around the neck, right? Except I don't believe I like the ruffles going down the chest. :( I took this picture with the sash untied because it looked weirder with the tied sash. (It mashed down the ruffles and just looked messy.) I still feel very frilled lizard-y. So, pass. :( Too bad, because this is also really well made. I think I took a six in this, but if I had wanted to get it, I think I would have sized up. I remember feeling a bit tight in the shoulders.

Pinafore Pullover ($99?)

Ah, what the blogosphere does. I never would have given much thought to this sweater before, but there was a big hullaboo over the Pinafore Pullover, so I saw one lone xs sweater sitting in the sales room, so I tried it on. It was very, very cute. The xs was a bit small for me and was pulling at the shoulder area, but still doable. I was seriously contemplating getting it, even at the extravagant sales price, until I remembered someone had mentioned that the side view on this sweater was not good. So I turned around ninety degrees and saw this:


I'm having a baby! .... naw, not really. But I looked either really fat, or pregnant. Neither of which is acceptable to me, so I had to put it back. Shame!



Finally, something from Anthro's 2011 lineup that I like! A lot of their recent stuff has fallen flat for me. (Good. I can save more money to buy more shoes.) This, however, I really liked. It's silk and fantastically comfortable. It's a beautiful bright blue that really pops vividly. It's true to size - I took my usual Edme Esyllte size 0 and it fit like a dream. This is a definite get on sale and I am monitoring the inventory at full price.

Last of all, the Yukon Quest 2011 is currently in process. I follow a lot of sports - not just the usual basketball, football, and baseball, but also figure skating, gymnastics, and also dog mushing. The weather has been extremely bad this year and the mushers and the dogs are fighting a lot of high winds, extremely cold temperatures, overblown trails, and freezing overflow. Right now at Circle City Checkpoint is a lot of chaos. Circle City is the checkpoint right before Eagle Summit, and things are apparently a mess right now. Before CC was a lot of overflow that took out Hans Gatt, a race toughened veteran and the 2010 champion. He had frostbite on his hands and withdrew because he could no longer take care of his dogs safely. Hugh Neff was the overwhelming leader up until this point in the race, but his tracker froze up in the weather and he was past the time he should have arrived over the summit and into Mile 101. Ken Anderson apparently tried to help lead Hugh's dogs over the summit but his dogs turned back. Snowmachines are out looking for Hugh. Sebastian Schnuelle and Ken have since made it successfully over the summit. Dan Kaduce apparently made it out to where Hugh's tracker stopped, but then suddenly reversed course, went to the highway, and flagged down a car for help. Dan and his team are safely in vehicles on their way back to Circle, but that should disqualify him for taking help from an outside source. I have been following SP Kennel's Aliy Zirkle and Allen Moore these past few years, and Allen is entered in the Quest. He is currently at Circle, giving his dogs a long break before heading out later to tackle Eagle Summit. Needless to say, I am anxiously refreshing the Quest's facebook page for updates on all the mushers and the latest conditions. Send your prayers and well wishes out to all the mushers and dogs out there if you can - they're going to need it.

ETA: Dan and Hugh are now at Mile 101 Checkpoint with their teams, safe and sound - by truck. Latest status is that they have not scratched yet but are not expected to continue.

6 comments:

  1. Love your reviews! I just returned my Engla trench today and could not agree with you more. Even at the sale price I couldn't get past the weird ruffles by my face. Oh well. I'm sure Anthro has a lot more pretties coming our way. Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I love my Engla Trench. Maybe because I am taller. I didn't find the Ruffle excessively large at all. You can see how I styled the Engla here...

    Pinafore Pullover Post


    I can't believe you didn't grab that Pinafore Pullover. I managed to order mine as a Pop Back online during 25% off. So $75. I know it seems strange from the side view. I took a large gold Elevenses safetly pin and weaved it through the back where the extra gathers start. It pulled some of the excess sweater knit to the back and added tayloring around the torso. I added in straight legs and high heeled booties. Then layered the Snowscape Tank under the pullover and got compliments galore. You can see how I used the pin in my post here...

    Pinafore Pullover Post

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps! I forgot to rename the first link. But it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear, almost everything looks like it's too large on you! You are so svelte!

    I think the colors of the eastpointe garden top look phenomenal on you. I think you'd look amazing in it at one size down.

    Lorispeak

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I LOVE the pinafore pullover on you. And I love the safety pin idea! I have another shirt with the same pregnant/poofy problem in front (which is why I passed on the pullover) and I haven't been able to figure out how to wear it - until now. I am definitely using the pin idea on it!

    Lori - Haha, thanks! I am not-so-svelte in real life. I should write Deletta a letter of thanks then for making all their stuff look so large on me. ;) Thanks for the encouragement on the Eastpointe Garden. I might give it another shot one size down. It's definitely very well priced and would be a good pickup on sale!

    ReplyDelete