Thursday, December 9, 2010

Stripey Scarves

At least 4 years ago, I found myself in need of a winter scarf. I have some major itchy issues with wool, and I can’t wear anything with even a little bit of wool content in it, so it really narrowed down my choices for warm scarves. At Target, I ended up picking a blue, olive, white, and black striped scarf that was the least offensive reasonably priced scarf in the womens section. I’ve been wearing it ever since: in Europe the winter of 2006, on cold hikes, skiing, etc. This time when I went to Europe, I was expecting cold weather, so it made sense to pack my stripey scarf.

scarf on a hike
(stripey scarf in Belgium ~ stripey scarf on a hike)

I get to London and walk around for a day or two. Mike vocalizes what I’ve been thinking: everyone has my scarf. So many stripey scarves. Many even have the same color combination. I am unintentionally fashionable! Except… it’s all men wearing the scarf. Oops.

stripey scarf stripey scarf
(men wearing stripey scarves, images courtesy of the Internet)

Mike was on a scarf hunt after that, searching for his own perfect stripey scarf. He finally found one (of the orange color variety) in Paris.

Anyway, just goes to show that fashions cycle. Sometimes across genders. (See also: plaid flannel shirts that women are wearing now)

No comments:

Post a Comment