Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuna & Green Bean Casserole

Tuna & Green Bean Casserole

Yeah, I know it doesn’t look quite as appealing as some of my other food pictures. The food is a day old, plopped into a Tupperware container and ready to head to work. But I combined recipes to form this one, so I figure perhaps it’s worthwhile to post the recipe. It’s not all that original – it’s a variation on the traditional green bean casserole – but I couldn’t find this exact recipe (using tuna and fresh green beans) anywhere else. My inspiration was that I had 2.5 pounds of green beans in my fridge and needed to use up a bunch of them fast.

Tuna & Green Bean Casserole
serves 4

Ingredients
1 lb fresh green beans, stems removed and cut into 1.5” pieces
2 5oz cans of tuna
3oz French fried onions (or more if you are like me and eat them as you go)
8 buttery crackers (like Ritz or Club), crushed
1 10oz can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup sour cream
splash of milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Steam green beans to partially cook them. I do this in the microwave, about 2.5-3 minutes for crisp beans in the casserole. Use longer time if you like them soft like canned ones. Run cold water over the beans to cool them slightly.

2. In a 9x9 baking dish, mix the beans, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, and salt & pepper. Add tuna, fried onions, and crackers.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until done.

~N

No comments:

Post a Comment