Tuesday, September 14, 2010

9-14 Anthro sales buys.

My Anthro fails at names. I'm starting to get recognized because I visit so often, but still no dice on the correct name. There's always that look of recognizement, followed by the guessing game for the name. Last week I was Vicky. Today I became June. Eh, maybe next time. Anyways, new sales haul!



They had this on sale at my store for $49.95, but it's not on sale company wide, I think. At least, I don't remember this being mentioned as being on sale on the blogs. I can't tell because they've sold out online and taken down their link. (Edit: Nah, my memory just sucks. On sale last week.) They only had a size 2, which USED to be my normal Floreat size, until they recently decided to stretch out their clothing in the last few months. I loved this on the website, and I loved it when seeing it on the rack, but not on person. This was way too big. I don't think you can see it, but the armholes are gigantically big on this shirt. If you were standing next to me, you could probably see everything inside the shirt. Hrm no. And what is with this giant bib on it? I love the embroidered flowers, but no, not for me.




look, sock!

Maeve In A Twinkling Dress $29.95

I shot Jenni and Nina a quick pic on the iPhone to gauge reactions for another dress, and immediately Nina zooms in on this dress, hanging in the background, and says "I see you're reconsidering Itchy and Uncomfortable again." It's not tooooooo bad. This is a size 4. I'm usually a 2 in Maeve, but size 4 was the only thing that was left. Still fits well though, so maybe I just got fatter. Boo! I still hate the pockets on the side, though. It looks like I've got a giant sock stuck there. Maybe I can always greet people from the front and never give anyone my side profile. I rejected this dress on first cut because of the sock pocket, but I'll live with it for the second cut price. Second cut FTW.



For some reason, I never looked twice at this dress before it went on sale. The print kept growing on me, though. Because where else are you going to find a dress with tea cups? I have plenty of flowery dresses. But tea cups? (I'm going to Disney next week. I clearly need to wear this dress and stand next to the tea cup ride at Magic Kingdom.) To continue with my everlasting confusion with Anthropologie non-constant dress sizes, this is a 0. My only other Floreat dress is the Cold Climate Dress, in which I am a very snug 2. My store only had a 0 and a 4, so I figured I was out of luck but grabbed both anyways. And the 0 worked, go figure.

However, I catalog this dress in my "Pretty but Useless" category. I already have the Stemmed Sweetbriar Dress from the last sale sitting in this category as well. I do not need two Pretty But Useless dresses. I'm slightly leaning towards keeping this dress because the Sweetbriar is veerrry revealing, and it has a halter. I don't like halters too much, but if the rest of the dress is lovely, as is Sweetbriar, I can live with it. But the revealing part .... I can only justify these useless dresses by trying to find ways to wear them to work, and tea cups is much more work friendly than revealing halter dress.



I never know what to do with We Love Vera. I don't love Vera so much. All of their dresses fit me so incredibly awkwardly, and this is another. Unfortuantely, my store does not yet have a lot of the fall catalog in, so I started grabbing some random things to try on for fun, rather than my hoped for lovelies (Best of the Bunch cardi and Curtsey Coat). I figured I had to at least make a token effort towards this dress because of the horsey ribbons. This is a 6 - I probably needed a 4. (And the last few We Love Vera dresses I tried on in the spring were all too tight on me even at a 6. Bleh on Vera.) I normally don't like strapless, despite how many times Jenni insists they'll look good on me. I still don't. I don't know if it's coming across in the picture, but I felt this dress made my chest look ridiculously large, to the point where I felt they were going to grow wings. I think I'll stick to trying to win ribbons, rather than wearing them.


Hrm, I don't know why this is so blurry. I don't think I saw this online, but I grabbed it as I was walking through the store and I brushed it accidentally with my hand. Like the Dreamy Drape Dress, it is a fantastically soft and comfortable fabric. SOO soft! I tried this on in a medium because Tracy Reese runs small, but this is roomy enough that maybe I could do a small. I won't bother though - I don't quite understand the black corset thing in the middle of this dress, and it looks really matronly on me.

3 comments:

  1. omg too funny. I never noticed the pocket looks like a sock, but it totally does. I only briefly had that dress on before I had to take it off because of the scratchiness. The tea cup dress fits you well. I also contemplated trying it on today, but I also wondered where I would wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the last dress here is on the website now called the Braque Bodice Dress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lori! I've decided that all of my unwearable dresses are going to be worn to work, just so I can get some mileage out of them. :P Good thing winter is coming - I'm just going to button up a cardigan and turn these things into skirts - which I guess kind of undermines the point of paying for so many expensive dresses, but oh well. I need more weddings to attend, or something!

    ReplyDelete