Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What’s for dinner?

It’s nearing the end of the summer CSA session, as well as the seasonal closings of many local farmers markets. Though I do have some visions of a winter full of take out containers, I’m more focused on the awesomeness of this part of the summer. At this point, it has been warm enough for the later summer crops to be available, and I’m enjoying a bounty of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and zucchini.

huge green leaf lettuce salad

Though I’ve been getting lettuce all along, but there are some really big, beautiful heads appearing in my box right now. That green leaf lettuce pictured above is about 1.5x the size of my head! Sungold cherry tomatoes, marcona almonds, croutons, Parmesan cheese, and Italian dressing for a traditional salad. Tangerine slices, French-fried onions, almond slivers, and a sesame-ginger Asian vinaigrette for a fusion salad. Why pay $12 for an entree-sized salad in a restaurant when it’s so easy to do at home?

eggplant pasta and red potatoes

Eggplant, tomato, and Italian parsley is another combination of seasonal ingredients I’ve been having a lot of lately. Last week, I made an eggplant bruschetta, which ended up on a few of my leftovers flatbreads for days afterwards. Tonight, it went into a creamy pasta sauce (with spinach), paired with a side of red potatoes.

And that’s what I’m eating these days! Next thing to look forward to: winter squash.

~N

No comments:

Post a Comment