Saturday, September 11, 2010

Training for a Marathon

Last fall, I ran a half-marathon for the Silicon Valley Marathon on a due to that being one of my life goals. I wanted to run both a half-marathon and full marathon by...a certain age. This year, I've been training more seriously for a full marathon--the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco in mid-October. The differences involved in the training is clearly drastic. Unlikely, too, is the chance that I'd be able to cram jogging 42.195 kilometres (26 miles and 385 yards) in about a month, like I did with the half-marathon without injury, with a full marathon.

These past 2.5 months, I've been either waking up very early (5:30 am ~ 7:00 am) to squeeze in a minimum 1 hr run before work--at least 3x per week; or if I overslept, push the run to in the evening after work. Whereas for the last race, I could run in the local community college/high school track or in the gym--I cannot do the same for a full marathon except for warming up. Annoyingly, I found out most gym tread mills have a maximum time limit of 1 hour for a training program (and technically I was only allowed to hog the same tread mill for 3o min. max). And with a track, it was easy for me to lose count of how many laps I ran around it. It reached a point where I've found measuring myself by time versus distance is a better gauge of my ability. So lately, I've been pushing my training onto running trails.

Here were some of the main tips that I learned in my training:
  • Wearing the proper-fitting clothing and shoes (get your stride/pronation measured by professionals in a specialized running store) really does matter. Runners should get a half size larger shoe for running shoes due to the feet needing space for movement. I was starting to get blisters on my toes in my simple trainer Rykä shoes due to my feet variously hitting the front of the shoe when I ran more than 7 miles. I picked up Nike Zoom Structure Triax+13 Breathe that provided good stability and padding for my feet type.
  • Wear sunblock or a cap when outside (self-explanatory).
  • Control breathing to slow, deep breathing--panting only wears out the runner faster
  • Take glucosamine chondroitin if having joint issues.
  • Transfer weight evenly in feet when running; no landing on heel or ball of foot.
  • Keep the body and arms relaxed, any unnecessary tensing of muscles uses energy inefficiently
  • Drink a moderate amount of water before running
I found The Los Gatos Creek Trail was part of the 2009 Silicon Valley Marathon course and provides nice, gradual inclines to train with for the more tricky hills in SF. I suppose if I was more of an intense runner, I should pick up a GPS watch to track my pace--but I figure for now, I'm going to keep to the core basics.

2 comments:

  1. I have to add that Jenni is a huge inspiration to me. She gave me great tips and encouragement as I started running, and I think if she hadn't have talked so much about her own training, I might never have found the motivation to get started. It's really awesome to have friends who share their passions, and we all become better people in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, you didn't have to post that. =) But still incredibly sweet of you to do so. I didn't want to seem too much like someone who only comments on their own blog--but you really did an awesome run today for not having trained that long.

    ReplyDelete