Saturday, September 18, 2010

Anthro sale loot 9-18

Though I like fall colors, I love summer styles, no matter how impractical or work inappropriate they are. I’m with Sandy with the growing collection of “useless summer dresses,” and yet… I’m drawn to these end-of-summer sales. Ridiculous Ruffles shirt ended up being returned, so I allowed myself to hunt the sale rack today. Hopefully this is the last round for the season!

Marblehead Tank Marblehead Tank

Marblehead Tank - $39.95 (original price: $70)

Everyone says they want this tank, but I found surprisingly few blogger reviews of it. I ordered this from the website and based on the reviews, I uncharacteristically ordered an XS. The body fit fine, but the size of my shoulders/bust made the top part look awkward. I exchanged in-store for a size S. I still don’t get the fit. Everything about the top part is narrow, and everything on the bottom part is wide. The straps are also surprisingly short, so tall girls might be out of luck on this one. I love the details, the menswear-like black fabric, and the fact that I can wear it without a bra. So I’ve got it for now, and I’ll think about whether or not it’s worth the $40.

cardie cardie

Mystery Cardie (by Guenevere) - $19.99 (original price: unknown)

I just can’t pass up the 2nd cut rack. Liked the color, decent enough style, great price. It’s a size M, the smallest they had. I paired it with Leifsdottir’s Majestic Cypress Dress just as an excuse to put the dress on. :) (Speaking of useless summer dresses…)

Tangents Top

Tangents Top - $29.99 (original price: $48)

I’ve tried this one on before and was waiting for it to go on sale. I’m in a size S. I think this shirt has a pretty universal flattering fit, but the color selection is limited.

Scuba Hoodie

Lululemon ‘Scuba’ hoodie - $98

I post Anthro reviews to be a good member of this blog, but honestly, my daily outfit is usually a Threadless T-shirt, Gap jeans, New Balance running shoes, and a hoodie. I saw someone wearing a holiday print Remix hoodie at a yoga retreat and instantly had massive hoodie envy. Sadly, these hoodies run $100+ and lululemon sales = bad colors, bad sizes, and only $10 off. Finally, as a present to myself for doing my 5k, I sucked it up and paid the $100 for a Scuba hoodie, a longer, sleeker version of the Remix. I’m in a size 8 – lululemon is sized for athletes and is not particularly forgiving. Reviews say that the hoodie feels like a warm hug, and I agree! And the oversized hood is perfect for the rainy Seattle winter. Now I just have to resist the urge to buy this in multiple colors…

Loosely Looped Tee

Loosely Looped Tee - $58

I hate this kind of fabric. It’s so thin and unstructured that generally a fitted shirt will find some way to show bulges that don’t exist. But I liked the design of the shirt, so I grabbed it for the fitting room anyway, and I was surprised – it fits really nicely. (I am in a size S) Great color, and the embellishments are interesting without being tacky or obtrusive. One problem – it’s so thin that you can see through it. I can definitely make out the pattern of my bra through the shirt, and this is the type of fabric that I really wouldn’t want to wear a cami under. Too bad. I think I’d only pay second cut price for this, and I doubt it will make it there.

Dagmar Shirtdress

Dagmar Shirtdress - $69.95 (original price: $148)

I tried it on because everyone else was talking about it. I’m wearing a 4, but I really should be wearing a 6 because this dress is not designed for people with big shoulders. It required a little bit of contortion to get it on and off. The color is really pretty. Nothing else about this dress works for me – the print is big, the square shoulder shape makes me look like a football player, and the shape in general isn’t that flattering. Blech.

~N

2 comments:

  1. Dang you found some good prices at the anthro sale rack!

    I had the same beef with the loosely loopeed tee! I took pics of its transparency. What the hec! Otherwise I loved the tee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marblehead Tank looks good on you from the pics, but the price seems a bit steep. The Mystery Cardie tie looks a bit odd, but that cardie didn't really appeal to me much as a whole... Tangents Top is great on you--keep! (I hope you kept the dark blue too!) Lululemon ‘Scuba’ hoodie looks good on you, but the odd symbol on the top of the hood looks a little cultist-ish. And I really like how the Loosely Looped Tee hangs on you. =)

    ReplyDelete